An antique past
The hotel restaurant « la villa romaine » owes his name to the antique past from the Romans that settled in between the first and the second century; they occupied this site that they made as a vast and rich farm.
From the Villa « Roma Sancta »… Between the prehistoric of the Vezere’s Valley and the Middle Age of the Dordogne’s Valley, the Roman Empire as also left his prints, in particular in Carsac*; and more precisely in the said place… “Saint Rome”. In other words “Roma Sancta”, a place-name that owes nothing to the fate.
In fact, it’s right here, in the conquest of the Gaulle, which the Romans conquerors have built on the edge of the river called the Dordogne, a vast Gallo-roman farm: a villa, the “Roma sancta”. This vast agricultural property is composed of one residential part, « pars urbana », credibly based under the actual retirering and another agricultural, « pars rustica », facing the other side of the way. The set group is fed with water by an aqueduct that comes from the village fountain “Le Bouyssou” of which one part can still be seen in the hotel park.
…at the « noble den of Saint Rome » From his demolition, by the invasion of the barbarians, till the acquisition of the domain in 1462 by the De Bars, the history of the site is illegible. The most recent excavation, in 2009, has however allowed to discover many graves. What to consolidate the hypothesis according to which a necropolis would have taken place in the ruins of the Gallo-Roman constructions. From the 15thcentury thus, what will become “saint Rome's noble den” is acquired by the Mr. of Bars, the priest and the royal solicitor of Sarlat.
The Old Castle becomes a hospice His successor, Louis, then Raymond, renew and live in the “Old Castle”. Finished in the 17th, it will stay in the family more than three centuries. Then will succeed one another Jean, then Jean-Baptiste De Soulignac, mayor of Sarlat in 1793. Then the brothers Christmas and Germain Ser become owners before to give to the castle, in 1887, its current vocation by bequeathing into the commune to create a home there.
From the castle’s farm in “the Roman villa” Meanwhile, in the 19th century, in 1848, the castle’s farm is built. It is one of the most important farms of the region. It is successively occupied by several families of farmers, home’s farmers. The last developer Mister Tréfeil arrives in 1948. Sold, the farm will lose its origin’s vocation: it is transformed into a hotel which takes the name of “Roman Villa”.
A way to connect this place of hospitality in a prestigious and an antique past of the site.
*The name of Carsac would come from "Quercus Sacra", sacred oak. The place is indeed situated in what was the immense forest of the Druids.